Data Curation Postdoctoral Fellow
The Data Curation Post-doctoral Fellow will work with digital scholars, researchers, and librarians to build data curation capacity in the University of Victoria Libraries.
The successful candidate will work with UVic researchers to prepare their data for compliance with funding agency mandates. S/he will assist with faculty deposits to the UVic Libraries Dataverse repository, and will advise on issues related to data preparation and publication including format migrations, data description standards, and publishing standards.
The Fellow will also work with UVic Libraries to develop toolsets for data manipulation and visualization. S/he will provide learning support in the Digital Scholarship Commons, and will help students to understand and use tools for data analysis and visualization. S/he may assist in migrating and formatting library bibliographic or usage data. We are willing to accommodate the personal research interests of qualified candidates.
- Help faculty to prepare data sets for submission to Dataverse repository
- Help faculty to track the use of their data, and to assess and articulate impact
- Assist with selecting and developing software tools for data manipulation and visualization in the Digital Scholarship Commons
- Provide student support on data processing and visualization tools in the Digital Scholarship Commons
- Work with Library Systems to integrate data management and visualization tools into next generation discovery interfaces (e.g. Hydra, Islandora)
- Explore new trends in data management to help develop best practices for the intake and maintenance of research data on campus
- Assist with transformation and analysis of data from diverse library systems
- Ph.D. in a data-intensive discipline like bioinformatics, computational science, chemistry, economics, geosciences, microbiology, physics, or other social science
- A strong background in quantitative methods and statistical analysis
- Experience using statistical packages including R, SPSS, or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience scripting with UNIX shell tools, Python, Ruby, or similar
- Experience using data visualization tools like Tableau, R Shiny, or plotly
- Experience using data transformation tools including Open Refine
- Experience with one or more disciplinary or institutional repository platforms
- Understanding of copyright and licensing issues related to data sets
- Experience anonymizing data sets for privacy compliance
- Familiarity with metadata standards for data description
SALARY: This is a full-time, 24 month, postdoctoral fellow position with an annual salary of $55,000 plus benefits.
The University of Victoria, located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia is a highly ranked teaching and research institution of approximately 18,000 students and 880 regular faculty members with graduate programmes in a wide range of disciplines. UVic is widely recognized for its interdisciplinary research initiatives, its co-op education, its many Canada Research Chairs and its support for innovative teaching and research-intensive learning. For more information about the University of Victoria, see http://www.uvic.ca