For Hosts and Prospective Hosts
CLIR Postdoctoral Fellowships in Academic Libraries for Humanists, Scientists, and Social Scientists are flexible within the program’s overall goals and guidelines and can be designed as best suits an institution’s individual needs. The one- to two-year positions are for recent Ph.D. graduates working in any discipline. Institutions interested in hosting a fellow in the area of data curation for the sciences and social sciences should follow these guidelines.
- Calendar and duration: Fellowships begin between June and September, 2018. Exceptions can be made in cases where institutions have particular needs demanding a different timeline. Fellowships may be one or two years. All new fellows must complete a training seminar held July 29 – August 4, 2018 at Bryn Mawr College.
- Eligibility: Fellows must have completed the Ph.D. within the five years preceding the fellowship appointment. Host institutions may include any academic, independent, public, or government library, archive, or museum, or any partnership or consortium made up of the same, provided it has a demonstrable need of the fellow’s subject expertise to pursue a project or initiative comensurate with its mission.
- Selection of hosts: All potential hosts must submit a completed job description to Alice Bishop. There is no limit to the number of new Postdoctoral Fellowships in Academic Libraries awarded each year.
- Subject areas: Open to any specialty or domain in which the Ph.D. is the terminal degree.
- Salary: Open, although should be in keeping with positions requiring similar levels of expertise at the host institution.
- Funding: All salary and benefits for the fellow are paid by the host institution. In addition, the host pays CLIR an annual fee to cover each fellow’s education and training throughout the fellowship year. This fee includes travel, room, and board costs for required program meetings held each summer and winter, as well as monthly online symposia.
- September 2017: Fellowship application period opens.
- Fall 2017: Position descriptions to be posted on CLIR’s website under “For Applicants.”
- December 29, 2017: Individual fellowship applications due. Review of fellowship applications begins at CLIR.
- February 2018: Fellowship applications to be forwarded to all selected host institutions.
- June 1, 2018: Target deadline for all 2018 postdoctoral fellowship positions to be filled.
- July 29 – August 4, 2018: Introductory seminar for all 2018 postdoctoral fellows at Bryn Mawr College.
Note: Inquiries and proposals to host future Postdoctoral Fellows in Academic Libraries are accepted year-round.